Director of Development
Charleston Jazz, seeks a Director of Development (DOD) to lead initiatives in fundraising, sponsorship, grant writing, and event planning to support the organization’s mission and key programs including the Charleston Jazz Orchestra, the Charleston Jazz Festival, and the Charleston Jazz Academy.
Reports to: Executive Director
Key Working Relationships: Fundraising Committee, Board of Directors
The Director of Development will be expected to:
- Understand and embrace the mission of Charleston Jazz and share the organization’s story in a creative and compelling manner
- Create and execute a comprehensive development strategy that raises funds in support of the mission
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors to create long-term, supportive relationships
- Obtain funds from foundations, corporations, individuals and government sources through grant writing, annual appeals, events and strategic campaigns
- Build a strong sponsorship program for the Charleston Jazz Orchestra and Charleston Jazz Festival
- Oversee and organize special events for the purpose of donor cultivation
- Research and submit grant applications, monitor and provide final reports
- Contribute to the organization’s annual budgeting process; track, monitor and report upon progress
- Oversee staff responsible for maintenance of computer-based records that hold donor and prospect information and gift accounting records
- Work with the executive director to recruit, train and support board members
- Create a Charleston Jazz League and other volunteer services to align volunteer support with the achievement of Charleston Jazz goals and objectives.
- Serve in the community as an advocate and leader for Charleston Jazz, building relationships and partnerships that support the mission, vision and fundraising goals
- Attend Charleston Jazz concerts, special events and fundraising events. Some night and weekend work, additive to business hours, is required.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- 7-10 years in a progressively responsible fundraising role
- Proven experience in leading an effective development program
- Direct experience in personally soliciting major gifts
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to compel, cultivate, and solicit high net worth individuals and their advisors
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred, or an equivalent combination of academic and professional experience in the goal-oriented environments of development and management
- Ability to be an effective and articulate spokesperson of Charleston Jazz in a wide variety of settings
- Focused, strategic thinker with a high energy level and strong work ethic
- High level of integrity and dependability
- Excellent leadership, management, writing, and communication skills
- Strong organization, planning and implementation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and donor management software
- A knowledge of and appreciation for jazz music
- Based in the Charleston area and familiar with local donor community a plus
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to Mary Beth Natarajan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission of Charleston Jazz:
The mission of Charleston Jazz is to grow a local and global community for jazz through performance, education and outreach while celebrating and preserving Charleston’s rich history in jazz.
About Charleston Jazz:
Charleston Jazz is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote musical awareness and education including the recognition and preservation of the history of jazz in the Lowcountry through performances, special events and educational outreach. Established in 2008 as Jazz Artists of Charleston, the organization has earned a reputation for presenting, producing and advocating for all things jazz and the artists who bring this music to life in dynamic ways. The organization manages the Charleston Jazz Orchestra, the Charleston Jazz Festival and the Charleston Jazz Academy.
About the Charleston Jazz Orchestra:
The Charleston Jazz Orchestra (CJO) is an 18-person big band led by Music Director, Charlton Singleton. The band is comprised of the crème de la crème of South Carolina jazz musicians and is an entertaining and educational stellar example of the rich history and legacy of jazz in Charleston. The CJO is in its 10th year offering a 6-concert subscription series and is known for its unique, enthusiastically received performances that contribute mightily to the ever-evolving Lowcountry arts scene.
About the Charleston Jazz Festival:
Established in 2014, the Charleston Jazz Festival is a 4-day festival dedicated to presenting a world-class celebration of jazz by creating timeless and creative productions that entertain audiences, stimulate arts education, foster economic growth and unite artists and audiences in Charleston. The 5th Annual Charleston Jazz Festival will be held in Charleston from January 24 – 27, 2019 with performances by some of the world’s greatest jazz musicians. From legends of jazz, to emerging artists, to Charleston’s most celebrated home-grown talent, performers at the Charleston Jazz Festival showcase a wide range of styles including Swing, Salsa, Blues, Brazilian, Afro Cuban, and the Great American Songbook while drawing over 4,000 jazz lovers to the Holy City each year.
About the Charleston Jazz Academy:
In the interest of elevating jazz musicianship and broadening the love of jazz in future generations, Charleston Jazz has recently brought the Leonard School of Music under its wing to create the Charleston Jazz Academy. The Leonard School of Music played an important role in teaching jazz to young people in Charleston since 1945. Working in partnership with local schools, parents, and students of all ages, the Charleston Jazz Academy brings together highly motivated students in a collaborative and challenging environment to expand their repertoire and nurture the skills of improvisation.
Charleston Jazz is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Industry – Performing Arts, Fund-Raising, and Nonprofit Organization Management
Employment type – Full-time
Experience – Executive
Job function – Business Development, Sales, Communication, the Arts
Salary – Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience